Sunday, July 20, 2008

Bear Lake Follies

Greetings from the Rydalch Family!

Well, under diligent urging from ME, we finally went camping this summer! At the last moment, well Monday to be exact. I decided that we needed to get out and commune with the great outdoors. Tyler agreed and we headed up the canyon on Friday.

We camped at Red Banks campground Friday night and happened to get one of the only spots left. Good thing too, because I wasn't about to turn around and go home! This was after we had tried out favorite campground, Sunrise, found it full, and then drove halfway around Bear Lake then turned around and drove back down the canyon. Guess I should have planned better and reserved us a spot.


Sophie was excited to finally get out of the car and go exploring when we finally happened upon the campground. She had a blast in the river. Actually we had to take her away screaming and kicking because she didn't want to leave. It was a shock to me that she even got her feet wet because I was FREEZING!!!

We had to restrain her from sitting down in the river, walking into the swift current and taking every rock she saw with her. It was getting close to dark so I didn't want her wet and cold when it was time for bed.
Here we are at our camp. Sophie wouldn't sit in her cute red chair that I couldn't get her out of when we were at home. She took one look at my chair, said, "flower", and we weren't able to get her out of it. Needless to say I spent a lot of time sitting in her chair, much to Tyler's dismay, he was going to sit in it but I had to break the news to him that he was a bit too heavy for it.



After dinner we had S'mores and Sophie just licked the marshmallows while saying, "mallow." She just wouldn't eat one that was cooked over the fire, poor girl, she didn't know what she was missing.

We froze during the night. Let me correct this statement, Tyler froze, I baked like a 500 degree oven with Sophie laying on me to fuel it. The night was all good until about 1 a.m. when Sophie got cold in her pack and play and wanted to snuggle with me. Talk about a long night, I couldn't sleep, Sophie talked all night in her sleep and Tyler complained in the morning that he had no blanket all night. Oops! no wonder I was so hot!

Here is Sophie helping me deflate the mattress the next morning.

We packed up camp on Saturday and headed to the Lake to play. Sophie had a blast in the sand. Well, actually Tyler had the most fun playing in the sand. He built or tried to build a sand castle. Sophie kept thwarting his attempts by acting as demolition crew.


This is Sophie's cute floaty that she wouldn't get in if it was in the water. On dry ground she was good, but she would have nothing to do with it in the lake. Her definition of swimming the whole time there, was bending over and splashing the water with her hand while clutching to Tyler or my hand with the other and saying, "wimming."

All in all it was a good weekend for us and we all had a really good time. Sophie was cute as ever and is fitting very well into the terrible two's stage when the occasion calls for it, like cleaning up to go home!

Here is my sand "sculpture" that Tyler dubbed good enough to be photographed. It is a mohawked man with beer belly lying in the lake while the waves lap over him sans belly. The waves I made didn't show up very well in the photo.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

haha That's hilarious that Sophie was the "demolition crew" with Tyler's sandcastle. Poor guy. I bet he really wanted to build a big one, but with a toddler around to destroy it, what do you do? Cute pics, you guys! What a fun camping trip...minus the bad sleep that night...better luck next year!